We all want to look our best. However it’s a fact of life that as we age, one of the first things visibly affected is the skin on our face.
Our once soft and smooth skin starts to lose its strength and elasticity, resulting in wrinkles, dryness, and other issues.
The amount of collagen and elastin (proteins that help to keep our skin plump and supple) that we produce decreases, and is produced more slowly.
How can we prevent and repair premature skin ageing?
This is the million dollar question! According to dermatologists, the best way to prevent premature skin ageing is to use a high-factor, broad spectrum sunscreen on a daily basis. I recommend a sunscreen of at least SPF 50, especially if you live somewhere hot and sunny
You should also avoid smoking, eat a healthy diet full of fresh fruit and vegetables, and follow a good skincare routine, including exfoliation and lymphatic drainage massage.
So how can facial cupping help you to achieve your skin goals? Firstly, you need to understand exactly what facial cupping is.
What is facial cupping?
The ancient practice of cupping uses suction cups directly on the skin to promote circulation and relieve muscle tension.
How does it work?
Facial cupping therapy uses the mechanical pumping principle to form negative pressure inside the cup. This action very gently pulls the skin up inside the cup, which stimulates the skin, tendons, meridian and acupoints to detox the skin.
Facial cupping promotes blood circulation, boosts healthy energy, kickstarts your metabolism and improves the function of your organs. Essentially, facial cupping detoxes and purifies your blood, and boosts your circulation to promote natural health and wellbeing.
Will it leave giant red polka dots on my face?
That would be funny, but no. The suction isn’t as strong as when you use cups on your back or legs because the skin on your face is much more delicate.
What are the benefits of facial cupping?
There are so many fantastic benefits to facial cupping.
- Increases oxygen-rich blood circulation, strengthens skin and connective tissues
- Stimulates fibroblast cells responsible for collagen and elasticity production
- Visibly reduces fine lines and deeper wrinkles
- Tones chin, jawline, neck & décolletage
- Increases depth and efficacy of your skincare products
- Reduces scars, excess oil and pore size
- Improves product absorption and nutrient delivery to skin
Can you do facial cupping at home?
Absolutely. It’s a brilliant anti-ageing treatment that you can do at home. Here are some directions if you’d like to give it a try:
- Begin with a clean face.
- Apply facial oil or cream to face, neck and chest.
- Work one side of the face at a time
- Use small eye cups for the delicate eye and lip area, and larger cups for face, neck and décolletage.
- Squeeze the air of the silicone cup before applying the cup to skin.
- Use flash cupping (suction and release technique) to drain sinuses, between and around eye and lip areas.
FACE (larger cup)
- Begin at the base of the ear, move down the side of the neck and across bottom of the clavicle using flash cupping method. Repeat three times.
- Place cup under the chin and glide under the jaw back toward the ear. Drain down the neck using flash cupping method. Repeat three times.
- Place cup on the chin and glide across the jaw line and over the face under the cheek bone area toward the ear. Drain down the side of the face and neck using flash cupping method. Repeat three times.
- Start at the side of the nostril and glide the cup across the face toward the ear using flash cupping method, then continue to glide over the cheek toward the ear. Drain down the side of the face, down the neck and across the clavicle. Repeat three times.
- Place the cup on the area between the eyes and hold to release (flash cupping). Glide the cup upward to the centre of your forehead to release tension. Repeat three times.
- Start at the centre of the forehead and glide the cup across the forehead to release your frontalis muscle (forehead wrinkles). Use flash cupping method down the side of the face and neck. Repeat three times.
EYES (smaller cup)
- Start at the inside corner of the eye, use the flash cupping method gently and slowly. Move across the top lid to move fluids to the exterior corner of the eye. Next, use the same suction and release technique under the eye. When finished, glide the cup down the side towards the ear. Repeat three times.
- Use a smaller or larger cup to lift the brow area. Place the cup above the brow and use your other hand to lift the inner brow. Keep the cup suctioned in place for 5-10 seconds, then complete by gliding the cup towards the outer end of the eye. Use flash cupping method down the side of the face and neck. Repeat three times.
LIPS (smaller cup)
- Place a smaller cup above the top lip line area. Proceed using the flash cupping method. To address fine lines and wrinkles use the cup to lift the skin up, hold for a few seconds then release.
- Complete this step by using the gliding massage stroke above the upper lip to the side of face. You may cup or plump the lips, but first be sure to apply oil or lip balm to pre-treat and moisturise the lips, and for better adhesion. Repeat three times.
Have you ever tried facial cupping? Or would you like to try it? Please share your experience below.